Assistant Grower in Training – Co-op (Pt) Termed Contract-2023 – 2-3 positions available
Jeffery’s Greenhouses Inc (1036 Lakeshore Rd W., St. Catharines) is a grower and a wholesale distributor of bedding plants.
With an anticipated start date end of January, we are actively accepting applications from current students looking for co-op opportunities for the 2023 growing season. This role will start out part time surrounding (around your class schedule) and increase to full time hours when your classes end. Applicants must (at minimum) be able to commit through the season to May 30th, 2023.
The Assistant Grower-in-Training works directly with the head grower and a growing team that is assigned to an area of crop production or to specific crop-threads within the greenhouse. Each growing team is collectively responsible for water management, crop nutrition, pest and disease monitoring, pest control applications, growth regulator applications and for the monitoring and execution of assigned plant management activities.
Co-op placements will have the opportunity to work in the following areas;
- Participate in the monitoring of crop development and crop control.
- Participate in pest and disease monitoring.
- Monitoring nutrient status and soil moisture in assigned crops in order to maintain healthy crops.
- Apply biological pest control.
- Plant transplanting, spacing, and cleaning.
- Record Management.
- Schedule and supervise crop rotation.
- Communicate tasks as directed to growing team.
- General Labour tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Be organized, clean and meticulous.
- Be comfortable with repetitive tasks.
- Efficient worker, fast paced, highly motivated.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Current participation in the Horticulture Technician program with a Greenhouse focus is preferred.
- Stands or walks on concrete floors up to 8 hours daily (with breaks)
- Light to moderate lifting required (2-15lbs several times/day)
- Operation of machinery as required.
Work Environment & Requirements:
- Humid work environment with temperatures that may be hot, cold, or fluctuating
- Ability to work in a high-stress, fast-paced environment (Spring)
Covid-19 Procedures: Currently conducting in-person interviews. May change during winter months.
Must have own transportation. Jeffery’s Greenhouse Inc (Lakeshore Rd W) is within walking distance to a bus route however some hours being required may be outside available bus schedules.
Jeffery’s is an equal opportunity employer. If selected for an interview, please advise if you require accommodation during the interview and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
We are looking for star candidates who are absolutely passionate about plants and people. If you’re not afraid of hard work and want to help serve our customers by providing a quality product then apply immediately by sending a resume with cover letter and references to email@example.com by Friday, January 27th 2023.