Jeffery’s Greenhouses Inc (1036 Lakeshore Rd., St. Catharines) and Jeffery’s Greenhouses Plant II (2411 Fourth Avenue, Jordan Station) are growers and a wholesale distributors of bedding plants.
Position Overview (1-3 Co-op Education Termed positions available for 2020)
With an anticipated start date in early 2020, we are actively accepting applications from current students looking for co-op opportunities for the 2020 growing season. We are also accepting applications from soon to be graduated students looking for part time work. Opportunities are at both locations. Applicants must, (at minimum) be able to commit through the season to May 30th, 2020.
The Assistant Grower-in-Training works directly with the head grower and a growing team that is assigned to an area of crop production or to specific crop-threads within the greenhouse. Each growing team is collectively responsible for water management, crop nutrition, pest and disease monitoring, pest control applications, growth regulator applications and for the monitoring and execution of assigned plant management activities.
Successful coop applicants will have the opportunity to work in the following areas;
- Participate in the monitoring of crop development and crop control.
- Participate in pest and disease monitoring.
- Monitoring nutrient status and soil moisture in assigned crops in order to maintain healthy crops.
- Apply pesticides, synthetic growth regulators, and biological pest control.
- Plant transplanting, spacing, and cleaning.
- Record Management.
- Schedule and supervise crop rotation.
- Communicate tasks as directed to growing team.
- General Labour tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Be organized, clean and meticulous.
- Be comfortable with repetitive tasks.
- Efficient worker, fast paced, highly motivated.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Current participation in the Horticulture Technician program with a Greenhouse focus is preferred.
We’re looking for star candidates who are absolutely passionate about plants and people. If you’re not afraid of hard work, and want to help serve our customers by providing a quality product then apply immediately by sending a resume with cover letter and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 3rd 2020.When applying clearly indicate which location you are applying to. Jeffery’s Greenhouse Inc (Lakeshore Rd) is within walking distance to a bus route, Jeffery’s Greenhouses Plant II (Fourth Ave) is out in the country and not on a bus route. Must have own transportation.
Jeffery’s is an equal opportunity employer. If selected for an interview, please advise if you require accommodation during the interview and selection process.